Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 16:26:58 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, pst@shockwave.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: socks support native in freebsd?

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > This is total crap.  How can you possibly implement what Socks does
> > using a "tunnel"?  Socks provides a standards-friendly means of
> > hiding unroutable hosts behind a routed firewall.  It provides
> > healthy amounts of logging, and good configuration flexibility.
>
> By IP tunneling the default route to the socksd that then forwards
> it to the forwarding host using a static route to the real interface.

How is this different from the already-deemed-evil Linux "IP Masquerading"?
The 'tunnel' approach either requires a socks-like protocol, which requires
application (or library) support, or it rewrites packet headers.

> Local routes can also go to the local linterface statically, by net.

Heh.  That's the linterface that uses static to collect dropped routes? 8)

> > Given the popularity of firewalls these days, this would be a Big Plus.
>
> First, he was talking about implementing it on a per application
> basis via the makefile hack that is recommended by the socks
> package.

Actually, Paul was talking about 'whatever is state-of-the-art'.  Witness
the upcoming back-outs of the initial socks-4 stuff, and the implementation
of the (optional) socks-5 shared-library features.

> Second, this is an atypical network configuration, and the average
> user should not have to pay for it in their libc.

*snort*.  There are a million warts that the 'average user' pays for already
in their libc.  I would suggest that any overhead that Socks-awareness would
impose on the (small) number of relevant system calls would be noise
against interrupt latency on the average network interface.

> > ...except that Netscape (at the least) already supports Socks, and in fact
> > goes so far as to support making TCP DNS queries so that a UDP proxy isn't
> > required.
>
> Fine.  Pick a binary program other than Netscape which does not support
> socks.

Hmm.  Microsoft Explorer, perhaps.