Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:27:30 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X Windows question

 >  > On 9 Jul 2002, at 10:34, Brian J. McGovern wrote:
 >  >
 >  > >  > I have a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE box, with which I'd like to tinker with

 >  > >  > X. However, I don't want to use the box itself for viewing, but a
 >  > >  > Windows X Server (Cygwin with XFree86).
 >  > >  >
 >  > >  > Do I have to install the entire XFree system, or can I just install
 >  > >  > an X window manager and be done with it? I'm not sure how to get
 >  > >  > started. If I just wanted to use the FreeBSD box itself for display
 >  > >  > as well as running programs, this would be easy.
 >  > >  >
 >  > >  > Thanks for any assistance,
 >  > >  >
 >  > >  > Corey Snow
 >  > >
 >  > > On the FreeBSD side, it should be as easy as setting DISPLAY to the Win
dow
 >  > > box, and then running the application.
 >  > >
 >  > > On the windows side, you may need some extra effort to set up authentic
ati
 > on
 >  > > and the like. I think, overall, it took me about 40 seconds to get thin
gs
 >  > > working, but I have a decade of experience using X, and know what all t
he
 >  > > errors mean.
 >  > >
 >  >
 >  > I should have been more clear- I can accomplish this much, or I did
 >  > after some experimentation. I'm familiar with this much about X and
 >  > have used it in several other environments.
 >  >
 >  > In this case, however, I'd like to have my FreeBSD box not run the X
 >  > server at all, but only run the X clients and the window manager,
 >  > using my Cygwin install as an X server, which I have working already.
 >  > I'd like to use XDMCP to access the FreeBSD machine, get a login
 >  > prompt and start using a Gnome desktop (or maybe KDE, I don't know
 >  > which one I prefer).
 >  >
 >  > Thanks for your answer,
 >  >
 >  > Corey Snow
 >  >

 > Oh... XDMCP. Should have mentioned that up front... :)
 >
 > Most of the stuff you want will be in /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm. First thing you'll
 > want to do is comment out the line in Xservers for :0, to turn off the local
 > X management (unless you want to keep it).
 >
 > At this point, you should be able to start xdm, and get management via a
 > direct broadcast to the FreeBSD system. However, if you want to broadcast...
 >

 > Next, edit xdm-config. The last line of the current file is
 > DisplayManager.requestPort. As the comment says, comment it out. You then
 > should be able to broadcast and use the chooser.
 >
 > Its been awhile since I've played with these pieces, but it should be pretty
> [...]

One last missed tidbit. You also have to edit Xaccess to allow your
access method to work (all, indirect queries, broadcasts, etc...).

I believe I have configured my local systems to do exactly what you're
trying, and these couple of edits was all it took to make
'/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query <hostname>' work from my Win2K box w/Cygwin to my
recently installed 4.6.

	-brian