Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:14:21 +0000
From:      Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
To:        Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: your advice on vinum, RAIDs

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 06:09, Joe Auty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been considering buying another hard drive for my FreeBSD
> machine, and building a RAID with my current hard drive so that both
> drives are treated as one.
>
> Do any of you have experience in this area? Is this advisable? I'm
> assuming I'd be looking at creating a RAID-5? Can this be done
> without reformatting my current drive? Does this setup work well? Do
> you have any general advice for me? I need to know if there is risk
> involved here.
>

> Thanks in advance!

Joe,

It depends on what you need to do. If you just want data integrity then
you need raid 1 - mirroring and GEOM is your friend. There is a good
section in the Handbook on setting a GEOM raid 1 without formatting the
original drive.

If you are also looking for more drive space, then raid 5 gives a
measure of both.

In both cases, the warning of backing up the system first applies.

Rob