Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:37:32 -0700
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm at a loss for a way to mount this second harddrive

I'm sorry if you think I am totally stupid beyond human comprehension,
but I don't think I'm quite that bad, maybe not too far from it
though, heh heh, :)

> If it doesn't work show me the output of the 'mount' command like this:
>   'mount'
> Make sure you are root.

$ su
Password:
chip# mount
/dev/wd1s1a on / (local, writes: sync 114 async 2198)
/dev/wd1s1e on /usr (local, writes: sync 4175 async 17298)
/dev/wd0s1 on /usr/windows (local, writes: sync 0 async 12)
procfs on /proc (local)
chip#

And here are the results of disklabel  wd3s1 (as per your
instructions)

chip# disklabel wd3s1
# /dev/rwd3s1c:
type: ESDI
disk: wd1s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 192
sectors/cylinder: 12096
cylinders: 340
sectors/unit: 4124673
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:   204800        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 16*)
  b:   262144   204800      swap                        # (Cyl.   16*- 38*)
  c:  4124673        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 340*)
  e:  3657729   466944    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.   38*- 340*)
chip#

I see it showing me rwd3s1c and wd1s1 (wd1s1x is already mounted,
see above),  then your instructions were

> then do this:
> disklabel wd3sX
> where 'X' is the number you got above.. then take the letter of the
> partition... a,e,f or g and just do this:
> mount /dev/wd3sXx
> where 'x' is the letter of the partition.

X is one (1) already entered above, whence wd3s1 and mount wd2s1x is
any of the partitions showing in the table - a, b, c, e.

> Honestly you are starting to annoy me,

My apologies

>I explained that you'll want
> to mount partitions shown from the disklabel command, your disklabel
> showed this:
> > chip# disklabel wd3s1
> Instead of following my directions you proceeded to attempt to mount
> anything remotely resembling wd3s1_anything_ like some sysadmin in
> heat.

Maybe I'm trying too hard?

> and try to mount one of the partitions listed above.

I have tried to mount wd3s1a, wd3s1b, wd3s1c, wd3s1e. Those are the
partitions to try to mount aren't they?
Maybe this is where I am going wrong?

$ su
Password:
chip# mkdir /mnt2
chip# mount /dev/wd3s1a /mnt2
mount: Operation not permitted
chip# mount /dev/wd3s1b /mnt2
mount: /dev/wd3s1b on /mnt2: incorrect super block
chip# mount /dev/wd3s1c /mnt2
mount: Operation not permitted
chip# mount /dev/wd3s1e /mnt2
mount: Operation not permitted

I have tried to mount just the partitions that appear to me to
be valid, but you can see the results. I created the /mnt2 directory
as root, did the mounts as root. Okay, so apparently I am missing
something, we know that, but what? Maybe this harddisk just crashed
over night when I reinstalled the operating system, I don't know.
Should I put it into another machine and attempt to mount it there? I
have another bsd box, my firewall.

>Honestly you are starting to annoy me,

Once again, sorry if I am being a pest, but you do have the option of
just telling me to blow off and I'll not bother you anymore, I'l just
post to the group only

> -Alfred Perlstein -
[bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org] > "I have the heart of a
child; I keep it in a jar on my desk."

-- Chip
www.wiegand.org
*****
Visit my web site -
Alternative Operating Systems - MS Windows isn't the only OS in town.