Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:16:29 -0500
From:      Bob Van Valzah <Bob@Talarian.Com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 600X: Can't work out which disk we are booting from

--------------010709050307080902030300

Doug, Glad you're aware of the problem and have already formulated a fix.

John, I agree that the header file approach might be cleaner.

But here's another idea: Could the "jmp main" at the start of boot1.s be
followed immediately by a "jmp xread"? This'd create a sort of entry
point table at the start of boot1 that could be used by boot2 without
fear of things moving around. But I have to say that I haven't written
any substantial amounts of assembler since the 8080 days (dating myself
there) and I've never looked at the x86 boot sequence, so I may be way
out of my league with this suggestion.

    Bob

John Baldwin wrote:

>On 24-Jul-01 Doug Ambrisko wrote:
>
>>Note this is fixed via pr-26382.  Which makes IBM ThinkPads & Desktops
>>boot from a FreeBSD bootable CD.  The problem is they expect to see
>>a "MS-DOS" type disk header which {Open,Net}BSD and Linux have so things
>>work.  FreeBSD does not.  I made an 4.3 ISO image with this patch applied
>>to the boot code.  Some people on this list have access to that.  I did
>>that at my former employer (IBM) they might be able to send you the
>>ISO image.  Yes it is a pain on some IBM machine in which it is difficult
>>to have a floppy and CD device attached at the same time.
>>

>Robert Nordier has dropped maintainership of the x86 boot blocks, so I'll try
>and look at this PR today or next week.  Keep reminding me if I don't get
>around to it. :)  Hmm, could you update the patch so instead of patching boot2
>you add a new header file that defines the offset of xread and have that header
>file have a dependecy on ${.OBJDIR}/boot1 and be generated from boot1?  I
>think that would be cleaner than patching actual soure code.

--------------010709050307080902030300

<head>
</head>
Doug, Glad you're aware of the problem and have already formulated a fix.<br>
John, I agree that the header file approach might be cleaner.<br>
But here's another idea: Could the "jmp main" at the start of boot1.s be
followed immediately by a "jmp xread"? This'd create a sort of entry point
table at the start of boot1 that could be used by boot2 without fear of things
moving around. But I have to say that I haven't written any substantial amounts
of assembler since the 8080 days (dating myself there) and I've never looked
at the x86 boot sequence, so I may be way out of my league with this suggestion.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bob<br>
John Baldwin wrote:<br>