Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2002 15:59:02 -0800
From:      Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuring AWE64 sound card in FreeBSD 4.4

Hello,
  I first tried FreeBSD (4.2) this summer to turn an old PC into a server
for a small intranet in my classroom, and have been so impressed with its
stability and general goodness that I want to try it as a desktop OS. To
that end, I now have FreeBSD 4.4 installed on another old PC, a 266 MHz
Pentium II with an Intel PD440FX motherboard and 48MB of memory. This
machine has a Creative Labs Soundblaster AWE64 sound card (ISA) installed.
According to dmesg, FreeBSD knows about the card and there appear to be no
conflicts. However I can't use the sound card because I don't know how to
configure it.

Can anyone tell me how to go about configuring the AWE64 under FreeBSD 4.4?
The FreeBSD handbook mentions that there are some kind of loadable kernel
modules for sound card support, but doesn't explain how to use them or
which module is correct for my soundcard. Rather it explains how to compile
soundcard support into your kernel, an adventure I am not yet ready for!

TIA,
-John Carri