Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:36:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE hard disk recoms

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:40:06 +0100, Mike Woods wrote:

> I dont know about today but seagate drives used to have real longevity
> problems years ago (back in my amiga days :))

That was probably before Seagate bought the small disk product line
from Imprimis/MPI/CDC.  For a while after that it was pretty obvious
which Seagate drives had which heritage.

My sample space is pretty small.  I have bought only a handfull of
disk drives in recent years.  About half were Maxtor and half were
Seagate.  My only failure was a Maxtor drive and since it was still
under warranty Maxtor FedExed me a replacement within a day or so.
I feel pretty good about either brand.  I would tend to favor Seagate.

(As an aside: I remember when Imprimis announced it was dropping
its 8" product line.  I asked a salesman why they did that.  He
explained that data densities were getting too high and asked,
"Why would anyone want 5 GB on a single spindle?")

Dan Strick