Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:20:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        cnote@tznet.com
Subject:   Re: [Q] Archive 5540 tape drive

> Tim wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > In a long, long search for information on a company called Archive
> > Corporation, I turned up your name with an e-mail address; it was attached
> > to an article about a Archive tape drive.  My question if you would be so
> > kind as to help, I recently aquired a tape drive for next to nothing, and
> > it came with no disks or drivers of any kind, and also no documentation at
> > all, so I am at a loss as to how to get it up and running.  It is older,
> > uses 40 meg tapes, and runs off a floppy controller I assume, since that is
> > the connecter on the back.  The only identifying marks on the drive (it is
> > internal) are the Archive Corp name and model 5540.  Could you help in any
> > way in finding any information; drivers, or programs that work with this
> > drive? (ie. some sort of way people contact each other with help with
> > relics). You seem to be very knowledgable about tape storage devices; and
> > your name was associated with a posting about an Archive tape drive; so
> > this is why I am bothering you....!  Any advice or help would be greatly
> > apreciated.
>
> 	archive was purchased by conner.  conner was bought by seagate.
>
> 	you may have a tape drive that requires its own controller.
> 	tape drives connected to floppy controller is a rather new
> 	idea.  floppy tape drives are very poor performers.

Yes, this sounds like one of the old QIC-24 tape drives.  I think I
have one of these sitting around somewhere.  It takes its own controller
board, and I think it connects via a 50 pin ribbon cable.  I used one
of these to work with 45MB and 60MB tapes.  Then I got one of the
archive 150MB scsi tape drives, and now I use a dat tape drive.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088