Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:27:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        bsddiy@21cn.com
Cc:        peabody007@deepspacenine.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vfat Question

David Xu writes:

> AFAIK, FreeBSD does support FAT16, FAT32 partition.  you can mount
> a partition as msdos type:
> mount -t msdos /ad0s1 /mnt
> Linux sucks, it separates FAT16 and FAT32 support.
> FreeBSD is simpler.

Linux does not separate FAT16 and FAT32 support. You may mount
either as "vfat". If for some odd reason you _want_ short names,
both FAT16 and FAT32 may be mounted as "msdos". Linux lets you
disable long filenames on CD-ROMs too, and I think also for NTFS,
SMB (Windows network share), and NCP (Novell network share).

Proof: compile Linux without "msdos" filesystem support and
mount any FAT16 or FAT32 filesystem as "vfat".

FreeBSD is simpler though, if you don't consider partitions.  >:-)