Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:07:31 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>, Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@izr.com>, questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Way Off Topic: Bookmarks

Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk> types:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk> types:
> > > Search for "bookmarklets". Javascript code that does exactly what you
> > > describe, and from within netscape to boot.
> >
> > That's not exactly what I describe, and it's *certainly* not what I
> > meant. Unless there's some way to add a menu entry or a button the
> > toolbar that invokes the bookmarklet in question, so I can use it on
> > any page, and not just on pages that include the bookmarklet.
>
> Include the link on a page.
>
> Right-click on the link, add as a bookmark.
>
> File the bookmark in your "personal toolbar folder".
> Hey presto, exactly what you want*. That's why they're called
> "bookmarklets": code embedded in a javascript: "uri" that you bookmark.

yes, I konw what they do.

> jan
>
> * even if you think you didn't describe or mean it :-)

It might be what the author of the bookmarklet wanted, but it's not
what I wanted, meant or described.

Of course, since I habitually run with javascript enabled, it actually
does what I want *anyway*, no matter what the web page author wanted
:-).

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.