Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:35:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        smkelly@zombie.org (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Console

As I recall, Sean Kelly wrote:
> I am using FreeBSD as a desktop workstation at work.  It is very nice
> and productive, but I have one problem.  We have many HP/UX machines,
> and I am constantly connecting to them.  I can't find a terminal type
> on HP/UX that matches the FreeBSD console exactly.  'ansi' appears to
> be close, but I still have some horrid drawing errors.  Same with
> remote work on SunOS 5.7.  On SunOS, the 'more' command doesn't even
> scroll properly.  I'd be interrested to know if anybody knows of a
> terminal type that can be used on HP/UX 10.20, SunOS 5.7, and HP/UX 11
> that works perfectly with the FreeBSD 4-STABLE console.

There are two approaches that are "right", and one close
approximation.

Right (and what we did here) is to extract the "cons25" entry from your
/etc/termcap, move it to the Sun machine, and compile it into a terminfo
entry (using "captoinfo(1M)" and "tic(1M))".  Install that on all the
Suns.  You'll need admin priviledges to do that.

Or, build your FreeBSD with the VT220 console driver, and then set
your terminal type to vt220.  That's a little more work on the
FreeBSD end, but almost every machine in the world can speak to a
vt220.

The "almost" solution is to use the at386 terminal type.  I
don't think it meets your "perfect" requirement above, but it's
pretty close.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net