Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 19:15:41 +0000
From:      Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another problem with mount_ext2fs

On 08 Jan 2002, Benedikt Schmidt wrote:
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I haven't managed to mount my linux fs.
> >
> > Freebsd is on /dev/ad0; the linux files are on /dev/ad1.
> > Most are logical partitions, apart from the first.
>
> ad1 is the whole disk. Try ad1sX where X is the slice (DOS style partition),
> 1-4 are the primary partitions and >4 are logical partitions.
>
> See http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+FreeBSD-2.html for how
> to translate linux device names to FreeBSD names.
> But the text uses the old device name 'wd' instead of 'ad'.
>
> > If I just use mount, it says "bad superblock"
>
> > If I use: "mount -t ext2fs /dev/hda1 /mnt"  I get message saying there
> 	     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> should be mount_ext2fs /dev/ad0s1 /mnt
> > is no such file or directory. I've tried numerous variations without
> > success.
>
> Make sure you have "options EXT2FS" in your Kernel config (seems like
> the module is missing here).

This could explain my failure. I haven't yet discovered how to change
the kernel config so more research is clearly indicated.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]