Date:      Tue, 9 May 95 10:09 MSZ
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        nit@llc.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Various questions

In pcs.freebsd.questions you write:

>- Lastly, and I know this is plug time, any comments from users using
>FreeBSD as a base for a firewall?

There seem to be some, after all there's firewall code in the kernel :-)

We're about to set up a quite similar construct here to connect our
corporation to the internet. I've commited myself to use FreeBSD and
can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I see several possibilities
to connect to ISDN though:

	- Active ISDN card with special driver (there's support for
	  some Dr. Neuhaus cards in the kernel, but they only support
	  the German/European D channel protocols)

	- ISDN card that looks like a internal modem to the user -
	  configure it like any old analog modem

	- External ISDN "terminal adapter", same thing.

I don't know what interrupt load the modem-like-looking things put on
your system, after all you'll have to set the serial line to 115200bps.

Joe Greco recommends to use a low end machine (e.g. 386DX/40) as dedicated
ISDN router. He is obviously using a Motorola UTA220 with good results.

Michael

--
Michael Elbel, PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)