Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:43:56 -0700
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anti-pr0n or censored proxy for school district

> Can you folks help me search out a "content control" mechanism for a
> school computer lab?

> I was considering simple filters.  The problem is collecting a rule set.
> I was hoping to avoid a commerical client side solution like net-nanny.
> A choke point solution would be better.

> I am inclined to think that such a thing is a hopless endeavour.  Have
> any of you had to do this?  What were the results?

The school district here, unfortunately, uses IBM's NetVista server
running on NT4 to provide proxying, content control, LAN-mail, and the
like.  Works ok, but it requires lots of HP on the backend, and the
newer versions require a fair bit of HP on the client-side now too.

Since we're in the process of putting in new FreeBSD-based firewalls, I
am attempting to come up with a plan to move away from NetVista and
more towards an ipfw-type solution.  If I come up with any great
solutions, I'll pass them on (or vice versa, I hope).

Freddie Cash
fcash@bigfoot.com