Date:      24 Dec 1998 22:28:04 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Don.Read@calcasieu.com
Cc:        EDP@calcasieu.com, x1219 <sysop@calcasieu.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do you get paid

Don.Read@calcasieu.com, EDP@calcasieu.com, x1219 <sysop@calcasieu.com> writes:
> DES sez:
> > Will Cook <wcook@gapartners.com> writes:
> > > If BSD is free, how do you get paid?
> > Most of us don't.
> <troll-response>
> My employer and I have an agreement wher i'll take care of the
> computers and he gives me a check.
> </troll-response>

I'm quite sure Will was asking how the FreeBSD developers get paid for
their work. Last I checked, you weren't a committer, so your answer is
not relevant to the question.

[someone in Core may want to correct me if the following paragraph is
incorrect]

I know of only three FreeBSD developers who get paid directly for
their involvment in developing FreeBSD. There are many cases where
people do FreeBSD work for their employer which they then contribute
back to the Project, and a few cases of people getting hired as
consultants by WC to perform specific, well-defined tasks (e.g. Kirk
McKusick for fixing fs bugs), but the rest of us do it for free.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no