Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 11:58:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        guile@dangerous-minds.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD....

In a previous message, Guile said:
> I am a beginner, starting from today... trying to install FreeBSD2.2.1-Release into my notebook
> computer. Im using a Toshiba Satellite Pro460 with a 2.1Gb hard disk and 32 Mb RAM. Actually
> the problem is...... I have about 1Gb free hard disk space but, when installing FreeBSD,it show
> that I only have 5MB of free space. I dont know how to solve it..... and also how to make a
> partition on my hard disk.
>
> And, Im already using WINDOWS95. I want to install FreeBSD without destroying files that i
> already have. PLEASE HELP ME!

If the 1 gig free is part of the Win95 partition, then you need to do
one of 2 things. Backup/Repartition/Reinstall Windows 95  or use the
fips utility. Which will repartition it while running.

Fips has worked for me on an NT machine, but beware that it could wipe
out your disk if it fails.

If you have free partition space, then send us your fdisk output, then
maybe we can help more.

Paul.

--
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
                                        --Grant R. Gainey