Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:38:13 -0400
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@nosc.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Custom FreeBSD boot CD ?

Hi all,

   How can I make a bootable CD of FreeBSD that runs a live system - I
think the live CD of the CD distribution is/was bootable right ?  I don't
want to make an install CD - I'd like to make something with a custom
kernel that boots directly into XFree86 (with a generic VGA setup), and
runs an application I have written.  I'm mainly concerned with the file
layout, any special considerations I need to make in my kernel, and any
rc.* files that will need to be tweaked (since the filesystem will be
read-only, except for a memory disk for swap and tmp - I can do that right
?), and any sage advice others may wish to pass along.

   I've searched the mailing list archives and haven't been able to find an
answer (could be my choice of search terms) - if this is a FAQ or someone
has a pointer to a page of instructions I'd appreciate it.

   Thanks,
   Craig
Craig Huckabee				huck@spawar.navy.mil
Systems Engineer, Compliance Corporation	(843) 218 6459
SPAWAR Systems Center - Charleston, Charleston, SC