Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 14:35:41 -0400
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Lance M.Westerhoff <lmw188@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DB2 on FreeBSD??

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002, at 02:09 , Lance M.Westerhoff wrote:

> So far, it seems that FreeBSD will support the QLogic 2200 FibreChannel
> cards we will be installing in the two machines.  Further, it seems
> that FreeBSD will be ok with the EuroLogic, dual controller RAID.
> Obviously as long as we can recompile the code using g77 and gcc, any
> computational software will probably run without a hitch (and
> potentially better then on a Linux system).  What about database
> software?  As the databases grow, I expect each of them to encompass
> several TB, so I don't think MySQL will work in the long run (though I
> could be wrong).  Therefore, we are looking at commercial database
> solutions.  From the FreeBSD page, it seems that Linux-Oracle8 will run
> (I assume that 9 will as well??).  Does anyone know about DB2 from
> IBM?  Being a University, we have a much much better deal with IBM then
> with Oracle.  Other ideas?  Lastly, what sort of performance hit, if
> any, can we expect with using a Linux-native DBMS with FreeBSD's Linux
> compatibility libraries?

Hi Lance

For commercial DBs, I would take a VERY STRONG look at Frontbase,
<http://www.frontbase.com>; .  They run natively on FreeBSD and are a
very strong database with full SQL92 compatibility.  They are also very
results and performance oriented with awesome customer service.

The US sales guy is   Larry Barcot <larry@frontbase.com> .

I have no affiliation with them nor do I get any remuneration, just a
very satisfied user.

best
Chad