Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:09:24 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   deinstall is not deinstall?

Hi,

I have recently been pondering (not too much though) over this problem:

"a port/package deinstall is not the same as a port/package deinstall".

What I mean is, we have two kinds of port/package deinstalls:

1. deinstall to install a newer version
2a. deinstall to get rid of a package and its "payload" data
2b. as 2a, but additionally, also remove configuration files

Now, case #1 is trivial, configuration and application data need to
remain in place.

Case #2 is somewhat more difficult, but useful.

Look at the leafnode or inn packages. They have a news spool. In case
the user switches to a different package, he no longer has use for the
old news spool, so rm -rf ${VAR:=/var}/spool/news would be sane.

pkg-deinstall doesn't treat that currently, and we don't even have the
possibility to display instructions other than from pkg-deinstall --
BTW, the Mk/bsd.port.mk doesn't use pkg_create's -K switch.

Of course, I can print deinstallation instructions ("how to trash your
spool if you don't intend to install a newer version"), but that's at
best inconvenient.

On a similar topic, a package might want to run special actions when it
is updated, so passing "UPDATE" to pkg-install might have a value.

What's the opinion on these topics?

--
Matthias Andree