Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 07:40:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        David Uzzell <duzzell@1stpenshurst-scouts.asn.au>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Calendar & meeting scheduling server?

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, David Uzzell wrote:
> Check out www.joydesk.com They are in the process of doing this know.
> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Joseph Scott wrote:
> > Michael Lucas wrote:
> > > Is there any calendar/scheduling software in the ports collection that
> > > will handle the server end of this, or does he need an Exchange box?
> > > Surely someone's written something for this?
> >
> > 	If they do my boss would probably kill for one.  We are trying to
> > avoid being in the same boat, our FreeBSD mail server runs great.  But
> > there's lots of pressure to have schedule features that will work with
> > MS Exchange boxes on our campus network.

	It is a much weaker solution than some of the alternatives, but
TWIG (http://twig.screwdriver.net) is a decent groupware program which
only requires a web browser (even lynx works!) on the client end.  Since
it stores most of its data via a mix of IMAP and an SQL server, it might
be possible to "roll your own" solution for connecting it to Exchange.
Its GPLed and has a few mailing lists and a CVS server dedicated to its
development.

	At the moment the calendaring functions are rather minimal, but
they are probably the next major focus of the developers, as I understand
it.  I don't get a chance to read every email on twig-devel, but I do run
the CVS server from a server at my job.  I've seen a great deal of
progress on the program since setting up the CVS server for them and
honestly have lost track of the source code because of how quickly the
main developers have added and improved things.  In the last six months
its gone from a decent web-email program to a great web-email program with
a large API for expanding it and lots of configuration options for both
the user and administrator.

						Jaime