Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 21:53:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heinrich Langos <heinrich@zaphod.wh9.tu-dresden.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   renaming of usernames and homedirectories

Hi

first of all i have to admit that i'm a linux user so some of the concepts
of freebsd look a little strange to me. now i'm stuck with a system that i
have to maintain as long as the owner is ill.

1)
how do I rename a user in FreeBSD 2.2.5 on linux i just go and change his
name in /etc/passwd and maybe even in /etc/shadowpasswd and thats it.

but in Freebsd the name is also saved in that non-human-readable database
files. :-(
is there any use in that except for security by obscurity? (which history
has shown doesn't work anyway) and how do i get around it ?

2)

another problem is that i can't change a users home directory. if i change
it to something different and log in i'm sent to "/". changing the password
of that user overwrites my changes that i made to /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.passwd and replaces the home directory entry with the old one.

3)

last but not least ... is there a way to search the old digests of the
freebsd mailing lists ? the sun administrators list is a great example of
how to do that: http://www.dataman.nl/cgi-bin/sunmanagers
I had to manage a network of sun computers for some time and this
searchengine saved me at least a year of my life. half a year that i would
have spent searching other places and half a year that i would have died
earlier because of stress and frustration with that closed system :-)

thanx for your help

-heinrich

please send a cc of your reply to heinrich@null.net
because i'm not subscribed to this list.

--
                    Heinrich Langos <heinrich@null.net>
                pgp: "finger -l hl6@irz.inf.tu-dresden.de"