Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:05:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI/Tape problem?

I'm encountering a problem that I just can't seem to solve.
I have a FreeBSD system that I've been using to backup my
network for quite a while. It is using an Adaptec 2940 card
and an Exabyte 8205 tape backup. I'm using 'amanda' to do
the backups onto 160M tapes. Alrighty...

A while back the system started to lock up during the backup
process. Also the command 'mt erase' would never terminate.

This was on a 2.2.5-STABLE machine.

I tried a different controller (still an Adaptec 2940). Same
results. Different cable, no change. Different tape drive
(Exabyte 8700XL), same results.

Today I built a 2.1.7-RELEASE machine and tried it there.
Similar results. The 'mt erase' command generates a lot of
errors and eventually causes a reboot.

I need a solution ASAP as I'm not getting backups until
things work. I've also tried this on a 3.0-CURRENT (1/7/98)
machine... same results as the 2.2.5 platform.

Need help badly!

					-Steve