Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 19:04:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it>
To:        "Michael T. Gray, met" <mtg@dmi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time in Un*x

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Michael T. Gray, met wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I spent a lot of time getting opinions about UN*x and decided on
> FreeBSD with an Apache WWW server. I have worked on computers for 20
> years, mostly DOS, lots of networks, several program languages including
> C/C++. I am setting up a Web Server.

> 	I downloaded Apache from FreeBSD and am ready to set it up. Only
> problem is, I have no idea how. Most of the instructions say something
> like: "configure it however you wish", or "setup the way you like". Are
> there better resources for this? Books I am finding either assume you've
> never seen anything more technical than an abacus, or assume you are an
> expert and really don't need a book other than to create an impressive
> bookshelf. Any suggestions?

The O'Reilly book. But seriously why bother, just fetch the binary apache
from packages directory. It is really all you need. It is very sensibly
configured and will just do all those things normal webservers do.

For a normal production web server; we do take a stable BSD, usually
from a CD from walnut creek (www.cdrom.com), pick everything auto,
but double /var and swap. We pick the minimal install, configure,
reboot. copy the ssys.* kernel sources and cook a standard kernel
with just the devices/cards actually needed plus USERS set to 30
or so. Followed by a pkg_add apache_1.2.4.tar.gz from the cdrom.

And then use it... by putting files  in /usr/local/www/data/* :-)

The o'reilly book on Apache, CGI and HTML are IMHO quite good. But
these it might be way to much in detail. The only niggle I have
is the old cgi-bin directory.. when you can use handlers and
decent *.pl and *.cgi file extensions :-)

Dw.