Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:07:30 -0500
From:      "Phastnet" <phastnet@bellsouth.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   socks5 proxy problems

Hi, I have a 3.4-RELEASE machine configured to be a gateway for my internal
lan
and 6 incoming modems.. I am using ipf/ipnat to do the translations.. Some
things
don't work right, so I am trying to setup a socks5 proxy to solve most of
the problems.
here's what my /etc/socks5.conf looks like:

auth - - -
permit - - 172.20.172. - - -

I know this isn't secure, but I just want the thing to work for now.. Which
it is working
perfectly for my LA, but whenever someone on one of the incoming modems
tries to use it,
it doesn't work.. On the server I get UDP Setup: Permission Denied errors
(along with a
TCP error or two).. I have looked through all the man pages, searched deja &
the web
with no luck.. i've tried changing the /etc/socks5.conf file many times, but
nothing helps.
Am I missing something obvious here? Any help would be greatly appreciated,
I've about
gone crazy trying to figure it out myself.. Thanks!

Shawn

Please CC any replies to my e-mail address, since I didn't subscribe to the
list this time..
thanx again