Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2019 00:08:30 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Orange Pi PC2

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 20:31:38 +0100
Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de> wrote:

> After some investigation on how SD card images are setup, I did the
> following:
> dd if=FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64-PINE64-LTS.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1m
> [72]cicely7# pwd
> /usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-orangepi-pc2
> [71]cicely7# dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/da0 bs=1k seek=8 conv=sync
> 644+1 records in
> 645+0 records out
> 660480 bytes transferred in 1.393002 secs (474141 bytes/sec)
>
> The system booted fine with that.
> Some warnings however:
> /boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-sid.dtbo size=0x1fd
> /boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-ths.dtbo size=0x3e8
> /boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-timer.dtbo size=0x175
> DTB overlay '/boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-sid.dtbo' not compatible
> DTB overlay '/boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-ths.dtbo' not compatible
> DTB overlay '/boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-timer.dtbo' not compatible
> EHCI failed to shut down host controller.
> EHCI failed to shut down host controller.
> EHCI failed to shut down host controller.
>

> I'm a bit irritated that the PINE64-LTS image is somewhat a generic one
> in that it uses a GENERIC kernel and also contains dtb files for other
> boards,

 So you are irritated that you have some weird behavior when you use
something that is not specifically made for one board and you try it on
it ???

 All arm64 board that are supported by FreeBSD uses GENERIC
kernel and have dtb for every boards supported (more or less).

> but there isn't a GENERICSD as it is for 32bit arm.

 Yes, I will create one at some point, the reason I didn't do it is
that someone found out recently that Allwinner 64bits SoC can use GPT
partitions so I will need to do test with this.