Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:36:34 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        nil ban <trumvect@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I can't connect to internet.  Plz help me

nil ban wrote:

>sp gave me to
>use for having mail and surfing internet like
>trumvect@myispname.net and my mail servers
>names are mail.myisp.com(pop3)and smtp.mail.com.
>I tried using kpp and I could connect to my isp ( I am telling this
>because pppd does run )

Do that then, once you are "connected", type:

ping 158.43.128.1

if you get no packets back, it's a problem with your ppp settings. If
you do get packets back, type:

ping www.yahoo.com

if you get no packets back, it's your DNS settings. Look at
/etc/resolv.conf - you should see at least one line like this:

nameserver ip.address.of.nameserver

If you don't add such a line (or two) with valid nameservers. Your ISP
should give you such settings. If they haven't, you could use:

nameserver 158.43.128.1

but only temporarily - it's a Worldcom/MCI nameserver and might not live
forever.

Oh, and set a hostname. (see man hostname).

PWR.