Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 1995 16:16:20 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Checking dependencies for x11 ports

In message <199506061746.KAA05101@wsantee.oz.net>, Wes Santee writes:
>When I built tvtwm, it said it depended on /usr/ports/graphics/xpm,
>which it then went out and built, installed, and registered.  As I'm
>low on diskspace, after the build, I went over and did a make clean in
>/usr/ports/graphics/xpm.  Then I built xfm, which also requires xpm,
>but instead of checking to see if the package is listed in
>/var/db/pkg, or in /usr/X11R6/lib, it looked back in
>/usr/ports/graphics/xpm, saw that it wasn't built, and built it
>*again*

This is indeed the correct behaviour. bsd.port.mk uses the list of
libraries that are registered through ldconfig to check
against. Unfortunately, we cannot add library registrations easily
``on the fly'' after installing a new library.

You can get around this by either re-running ldconfig (look in /etc/rc
for details on how to do it) or just removing the source for xpm, but
*NOT* the graphics/xpm/work directory, and more importantly the `.'
files which tell bsd.port.mk the status of that port.

Gary