Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:58:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-20000307-CURRENT kern.flp keyboard probe questions

> > > I'm not sure, that's why I asked the list :-)  Really, what I was asking
> > > is if there is a better way to detect a serial console.. Rather than the
> > > current logic of "If there is no keyboard, there must be a serial
> > > console".  I can think of N reasons why a box would have no keyboard
> > > attached, besides having a serial console.
> >
> > Actually, there aren't very many.  If you don't have a keyboard, you need
> > a console of some sort.  If you don't have a console, you've made enough
> > modifications to be undaunted by removing two bytes from /boot.config.
>
> "Don't have a keyboard" != "No keyboard detected" != "Serial Console".

No keyboard detected -> local console won't be used -> use serial console

> Ok, so they can't be probed.  However, I HAVE thought about it for a
> minute, and, to be honest, I still don't see why my proposal is entirely
> nonsensical. :-)  Would you mind explaning your argument?  For clarity,
> I'll explain mine again... Perhapas we're just not on the same wavelength:
>
> >From boot(8):
>
> 	   -P	probe the keyboard.  If no keyboard is found, the -D and
> 		-h options are automatically set.
>
> Instead of that behaviour, I am suggesting a more forgiving behaviour:
>
> 1. Probe for a keyboard.
> 2. Is there a keyboard?
>  Yes - Boot from the local console
>  No  - Display "Keyboard not found.  Using serial console in 10 seconds,
> 		press any key to abort"

This is as stupid as the "Keyboard error - Press F1 to continue" message
that several BIOS vendors are so fond of.  If there's no keyboard
attached, you can't hit a key.  Not very smart.

> 3. Was a key pressed in 10 seconds?
>  Yes - Boot from the local console
>  No  - Display "Booting from serial console"
>        Boot from the serial console

There's also not enough code space in the bootstrap for this frippery.
If you want to use a local keyboard, make sure it's plugged in.  We don't
have a diagnostic for when you forget eg. to install your disk drive
either...