Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 12:01:48 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/dev/vx if_vx.c if_vxreg.h src/sys/i386/apm apm.c src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC files.i386 src/sys/i386/eisa 3c5x9.c aha1742.c aic7770.c bt74x.c eisaconf.c eisaconf.h if_fea.c if_vx_eisa.c src/sys/i386/i386 a

>Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>
>The thing I don't like abut what has been done is:
>
>It's changed a very standard and well understood service in the kernel.
>I think you should have left it the same and implimented a cam_timeout
>facility that runs separatly.
>
>all my drivers that are shared between various OS now need to
>be modified, with a new #if defined(__FreeBSD__) in them.

Various BSDs.  I chose not to implement a backwards compatibility interface
as I'd have to allocate even more space to make it as efficient as the new
one and updating client code is easy to do.  It's a small price to pay for
progress and it's not as though we haven't changed other interfaces in the
kernel to differ from other BSDs.  The proposed change was discussed in
Core well in advance of my commit.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations