Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:18:36 -0500
From:      Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
Subject:   Re: filtering HTML tags from email

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 12:50 am, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> On 02/22/05 11:16 PM, Mike Hauber sat at the `puter and typed:
> > Without going through the hassle of setting up proxy servers,
> > isn't there a way that one can filter out html tags from a
> > message (say, pipe the email through the filter from kmail
> > for instance?)
> >
> > Perhaps I'm looking too hard for it, but I didn't see
> > anything in the ports tree except for /mail/nohtml.  I tried
> > to pipe a html message through nohtml.py from kmail, but
> > doesn't seem to work (although I'm getting no errors from
> > kmail's filter log).
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thx.
>
> Mutt saves to a temp file then calls the following command:
> lynx -localhost -dump %s
> where '%s' is the temporary file you saved it to.
>
> You could also just pipe it to the following:
> lynx -localhost -dump -stdin
>
> the -localhost argument prevents lynx from simply following
> links external to your machine - helpful to avoid generating
> hits for unscrupulous spammers that get paid for hits on a URL.
>
> Just make sure lynx is installed.
>
> Lou

Okay, so to be sure, there is no filter (as of yet) to simply open
an email file, strip the HTML tags, and resave it?  I'm not
complaining, as this may actually be something I'm capable of
creating myself.  (I'll make this my first python project. :) )

I'm just making sure I'm not missing anything obvious before I
start working on it.  It's irritating to spend time on something
only to find out that it's already been done.

Thanks,

Mike