Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:35:08 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Data types (was: Re: FAQ FreeBSD-Sparc [frequent posting])

Jason Evans wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>
> > Is there a special version of gcc for UltraSparc?  If so, we
> > will have to use its idea of the data type sizes, I'm afraid,
> > so there's no choice.

Certainly *not*.  Changing the machine definitions file is quite easy, really,
but you might have to debug some nasty bugs on the back-end of the compiler.
If there are particular data sizes that *really* make sense on the Ultra
architecture, we should use those.

> Supposedly I will get a copy of it on the 20th (Huh? That's a Saturday!).
> Yep, we'll need to adopt whatever conventions it uses.  I don't know much
> about it at this point, so I'll have to wait to answer the questions about
> type conversions and sizes until I get the compiler running.

I'm sure the architecture type will be defined on the command line with
something like -msparc-v9, or something similar.  This tells the compiler
to use the 'machine' described in the sparc-v9 'machine description', which
you can tweak to some extent.  I've used gcc on SPARC v7, v8, and SPARClite
processors, and had a pretty good experience across all those.  Let's hope
the transition to v9 is as smooth as the introduction of v8 instructions
was.  Of course, they didn't have to change the processor "size" going from
v7 to v8.  ;^)

http://www.xmission.com/~softweyr                 softweyr@xmission.com