Date:      29 May 2002 13:42:58 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating question (yes, I know that this has been rehashed ma ny t imes...)

At 2002-05-29T15:39:43Z, "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG> writes:

> Hmmm.... I read /usr/src/UPDATING.  My copy only says that I should run
> "make world" (except when it doesn't work).  I'm tracking RELENG_4_5 --
> could that have a less up-to-date /usr/src/UPDATING?

Probably; I'm tracking -STABLE.

> Thanks for posting the correct instructions -- it is much clearer than in
> the handbook...

It's getting pretty simple these days.  Newer versions of -STABLE introduce
a few new options to mergemaster to help matters along:

     -p          Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to be essen-
                 tial to the sucess of {build|install}world, including
                 /etc/make.conf.

     -C          After a standard mergemaster run, compares your
                 rc.conf[.local] options to the defaults.

--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/