Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:42:27 +0200
From:      Han Timmerman <han@TandG.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dougb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/31305: Pre-Installation from FreeBSD 4.4 CDROM hangs after  plip0 ... on ppbus0

Hi,

meanwhile I have been trying out a few things. I removed the 3Com905 card and
replaced it by an Intel Pro/100S card. 3com cards are known for bus conflict
situations anyway.
The result, though, stays the same. The system hangs as discussed.

So I tried the older 4.3 CDROM and that works fine. So I closely looked at both
installation printouts and noticed one big difference. The "orm0" device is detected
during the startup phase of 4.4. The 4.3 startup phase does NOT show this device. The
address range displayed for the "orm0" device looks pretty much like the IO memory of
my RAID controller. Could we have a problem here?

I could not find a way to disable the "orm0" device in the kernel configuration part.
Is there a way to disable or remove this device?

Best Regards,
Han

--
Han Timmerman                      mailto:han@TandG.de
Timmerman & Gerber GmbH            phone: +49 8254 8005