Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:19:55 +0100
From:      Chris Webb <chris@arachsys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Local locking on NFS mounts

I'm putting together a diskless box that will be mounting its partitions
from an NFS server on the local network. I'm aware that FreeBSD (at
least as of 4.0) doesn't yet have working NFS locking.

On a Linux box, I can mount an NFS partition with the option 'nolock'
which arranges for locking to be supported locally[1]---this is quite
sufficient for my application as only one box at a time will have the
relevant partition mounted read-write. (ISTR that this support was
around long before proper NFS locking appeared in Linux, which is why I
came across it.) Is this the default behaviour on FreeBSD, and if not,
is it possible to configure things in this way? I notice there's no
'nolock' option for FreeBSD mount_nfs.

[1] I.e. two processes on a single client are protected against one
another, even though processes on two different clients can hold a lock
on the same file because the locks aren't exported.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Chris.
--
Chris Webb <chris@arachsys.com>           Office: +44 1299 404075
Arachsys Internet Services Ltd            Mobile: +44 7801 090045