Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:03:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Configuring AWE64 sound card in FreeBSD 4.4

Hi there.

> Can anyone tell me how to go about configuring the AWE64 under FreeBSD 4.4?
> The FreeBSD handbook mentions that there are some kind of loadable kernel
> modules for sound card support, but doesn't explain how to use them or
> which module is correct for my soundcard. Rather it explains how to compile
> soundcard support into your kernel, an adventure I am not yet ready for!

You're ready for it. You know you are. ;-)

Here's a simple and straightforward article that isn't everything you need
to know, but it will get you started, and there are a couple AWE64-specifc
things in it.

http://www.freebsddiary.org/sound.php

Rebuilding the kernal is actually quite easy. Just follow the instructions
in the handbook, and all will work just fine. Really. All in all, making
sound work is about 10 times harder than building a custom kernel, as luck
would have it ;-)

Good luck.

-tcannon