Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:47:54 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

--i7F3eY7HS/tUJxUd

On 2002-09-10 23:53, Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org> wrote:
> I am writeing a paper on the diffrences of various Operating
> Systems.  Mainly I am looking at Windows and Unix and Unix-Like
> operating systems, and Windows and Mac OS X.
>
> I am looking to gather information on how and why people choose an
> OS.  I am also looking to gather information on why other OS's were
> not choosen.

The best way to choose an operating system is something that depends
on many factors.  The most important of them, factors, is the human
part of it all. I am referring to both software and hardware
components here.  Most applications do not require "an operating
system".  They require an entire environment, comprising of both
hardware and software components.  Who will use the `system'?

Answer this question, and then you can find what the "best" system is.
The differences of the operating systems you mentioned are many.  Some
of them can run on only one platform.  Others can run on multiple
platforms, and provide a unified interface for all of them.  Others
can be run on multiple platforms but have differences from one
platform to the next one.

Nobody can start listing differences, and include them all :-(

At least, not without some help from you.  You can probably find many
people willing to help you, if you start browsing the web sites of
those operating systems that you are interested in comparing, and then
build a questionnaire of some sort, that people can use to provide
answers to the specific parts of the various systems in question.

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly quite helpful.

- Giorgos

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve -- http://www.FreeBSD.org

--i7F3eY7HS/tUJxUd