Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 17:24:54 -0600
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net>
To:        Billy Ma <sbirdy@netvigator.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Send and received mail time delay about half day

On Thu, Dec 24, 1998 at 11:39:16PM +0800, Billy Ma said something like:
> Dear sir,
>             I have a old machine used Freebsd 2.2.2, setup as a email
> server, qpopper,
> however, when I received some mail, I found the send time is delay about
> half day
> when it arrived.
>             Any idea ? this server support about 60 users, Does it mean
> delay because
> work load too huge for email server, Any parameter I can tune in the
> kernel in order
> to make the mail server fast and support more people ?

Well, first, what's the configuration of your machine, and how many emails
per day does the machine process? I don't think this is your problem, but
if you're using a 386sx-16 with 5 megs of RAM and processing 10,000 messages
a day, you might be having some problems.  Also, what kind of net connection
do you have? If you're using UUCP, that could be the source of the delay.

Most likely, however, I think your mail server's clock is set wrong, or
set to the wrong timezone. Does the output of the "date" command match
what your local time is supposed to be? If not, do a "man -k timezone"
and you can see the commands you can use to set the timezone correctly.
Read the manpage for the "date" command, as well.

Hope this helps.