Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:53:51 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rps@merlin.mat.uc.pt
Subject:   Re: Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro: erase2 patch (was: 4.2-RELEASE ISO image for x86 updated.)

At 2:08 PM -0800 11/27/00, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>On the other hand, I can see that this specific case
>(erase) is by far the most significant.  Which is why I'm
>forwarding this to arch - this is one of those classic
>architecture/feature trade-off decisions and I would like
>to hear more opinions before deciding which way I'd like
>to respond to this.

Due to the variety of unixes that I have to deal with,
and the variety of ways I connect to them, I am forever
having headaches with the erase character.  Conceptually,
I am not thrilled with the idea of having a special
"erase2" option in stty.  But I'm so fed up with del vs ^H
in my own day-to-day operations that any improvement would
be welcome.

I wouldn't mind a more architecturally grand solution,
but this would be helpful enough that I'd be happy to
see it, if someone has already written the changes to
make it happen.