Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:29:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.interworks.org>
To:        dkulp@neomorphic.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to diagnose bad ethernet?

> I'm getting log files containing errors like the following.  Are there
> diagnostic tools for tracing down the problem in the network?  For
> starters (stupid question) how do I determine which ethernet address
> is which IP address (without typing ifconfig or similar on each
> console)?  And is there stress testing that can be run on the network?

You probably have a cabling problem.  Find the machines with
ethernet addresses 00:c0:7b:4e:a2:6d and 00:40:10:07:1c:d9
and replace their cables with known good cables.

Use arp -a to find the IP addresses from ethernet addresses.
You can also search the -hackers mail archives for a very
recent discussion ov the above problem.  Search for
"comments on de driver error message".

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org