Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:54:23 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Star Office 4 (Was: Re: Problems w/ Linux EMU)

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 11:15:26AM +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Alfred Perlstein:
> > after staroffice 4 has been running for a few seconds it locks up and i do
> > a ipcs and see all my shared segments are used up.
>
> I have a script that start StarOffice4 and then clean up the shared memory
> segments afterward (it is either a bug in SO4 or a bug in our shared mem
> emulation).
>
> I've been seeing SO4 lockups regularely too. Sometimes, you start doing
> something then everything is blocked because it has gone in a tight loop,
> taking huge amount of CPU. Only kill is effective.
>
> I don't know if it is a bug in SO4 or in the emulator.

This is the same thing that happens to x11amp (I know you want sound
stuff to -multimedia, but this is relevant to the discussion. It doesn't
hang, but it dies on a bus error; every subsequent attempt to start
it results in sigsegv. The only way to fix it (that i know of) is run
this:

nathan:~% cat `which ipckill`
#!/bin/sh
ipcs | sed "s/[       ][      ]*/ /g" | cut -f 2 -d" "
	| sed "s/[^0-9]//g" | xargs -t -n 1 ipcrm -m

(that's one line) this will run ipcrm on everything in the ipcs list
(careful, now). Thanks to brightmn for the script.