Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:38:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Raistrick <keen@damoe.wireless-isp.net>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        Muditha Gunatilake <muditha@seychelles.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rackmount Servers

> > We are a small ISP running FreeBSD. I am interested in purchasing rack
> > mount servers to replace the seprate individual servers we have at

If you /dont/ intend on building them yourselves, I've found that the
Network Engines 'Viper' product is very nice.

1U, and it doesnt run extremely warm like some of the other 1U servers out
there.

We have 6 of them with no space between on one rack, (dual piii 700s, 1024
megs of ram, two scisi3 drives, plus cdrom) and they remain cool.

I have 2 running FreeBSD 4.0-Stable since mid july and have not had a
single problem.

They have a nice assortment of available configurations...

Now, you may notice when you check the website that they ship with either
NT or Linux....we run niether, so dont be alarmed.  BUT they only support
NT and Linux RH6.2 with their Admin engine.  Essentially the admin engine
allows you to monitor, configure, repower, etc, the servers via a lame
Java interface..(did i say that?:)

But, even without the admin engine, I love them.   Built in KVM switching,
just chain the servers together with their special cable.

Note that you should make sure to get at least one of their external
floppy drives...

Anyway.  Thats my two cents.

http://www.networkengines.com

later....david

--
David Raistrick		Digital Wireless Communications
davidr@dwcinet.com