Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:52:51 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade recommendations

At 01:15 PM 10.16.2002 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:14:12PM -0400, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>> I'm currently running 4.5, and want to upgrade my machine and was
>> wondering what you might have for recommendations.
>
>[...]
>
>> 3] A reformat and complete upgrade to 5.0 - I already have
>> the web site & mailing list dbs backed up.
>>
>> As scary as it sounds, I'm leaning towards #3.
>
>That does sound scary. By all means go right ahead if it doesn't matter
>that the server stays up. In the past 7 years that I have been using
>FreeBSD the hardest thing to beat into peoples heads has been "don't use
>-current on critical machines."
>
>Am concerned that your system is still 4.5, which suggests you don't
>have to spend much time keeping it running (good) but don't spend much
>time "keeping up" (bad). There have been serious issues with ssh,
>apache, and probably other things since 4.5. You may be vulnerable.
>
>"Make buildworld", "make installworld", mergemaster, and "make kernel"
>can be performed on a running system. Then with any luck you are only a
>reboot away from being updated. That's what I do.
>
>--
>David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net

>>> There have been serious issues with ssh,
apache, and probably other things since 4.5. You may be vulnerable.<<<

This is not an issue with the base system. the ssh has been patched and
Apache is not part of the base system and can be updated separately from
ports or packages. I'm running on e of the latest versions not vulnerable.
Also, am running 4.5-RELEASE p-20 which is right up to date with security
patches. I don't track STABLE. but do track all security patches and update
as and when they come out.... so, one doesn't have to upgrade above 4.5 to
have the security.....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator