Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:43:48 -0400
From:      Mike Galvez <mrg8n@tetra.mail.Virginia.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding 20gb IDE Drive

I am having trouble adding a 20GB Western Digital IDE drive. My system is
Intel Celeron and I'm using 4.0 Release. The boot drive is 9GB IDE and I had
no problems during installation.

dmesg shows:

ad0: 8063MB <Maxtor 90845> [16383/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
ad2: 19574MB <WDC WD205BA> [39770/16/63] at ata1-master using UDMA33

I tried using sysinstall and command line methods to add this drive.
After using fdisk to create slices, I used disklabel and received
the following error messages when I tried to write the information:

Unable to add /dev/ad2s1b as swap device: Device not configured
Error mounting /dev/ad2s2e on /data1: Device not configured
Error mounting /dev/ad2s3e on /data2: Device not configured

I'm sure this is user error. I have looked through the news archives
and various FreeBSD websites, but didn't find much on large IDE drives.

Thanks in advance

Michael Galvez
Computer Systems Sr. Engineer         Office: 804-982-2975
Financial Analysis                    E-Mail: mrg8n@virginia.edu
University of Virginia        Messenger Mail: Carruthers Hall