Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:06:02 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Sergio =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9s?= Ligregni Arredondo <chekkko@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: my arquitecture is...

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:48:44 -0500
Sergio Andr=E9s Ligregni Arredondo <chekkko@hotmail.com> wrote:

>=20
> I have a COMPAQ Presario (laptop) V2615LA with an AMD Sempron 1.83Ghz, 40=
 GB HD, 256 MB RAM, I have the i386 arquitecture CD-ROM, I tried to install=
 it, I see the FreeBSD boot menu (the one in console mode, with FreeBSD "dr=
own" in white), I choose 1 (default), and in the init scripts, it stuck in =
a line that says:

You dont say what version of FreeBSD is the CD....

i386 is the platform you need.

[...]

> =20
> I saw the README file in the CD and it says:
> =20
> FreeBSD supports COMPAQ/HP Alpha (alpha), Intel AMD (i386)...
> =20
> so I tried downloading the alpha arquitecture ISO (because I have a COMPA=
Q), but when I boot from CD it happens anything (well, like it tries to rea=
d something but it doesn't appears anything) and it go right to Windows.

just because Compaq bought Alpha years ago doesn't make Compaq-made hardwar=
e of the alpha architecture. As a matter of fact, (unless I'm very mistaken=
) Compaq drove the last few nails in Alpha's coffin, which was a pity.

> =20
> is there another arquitecture I should try? (like amd64 (but my CPU is no=
t 64))
> should I go to loader prompt and make some commands?
> is freeBSD not avaiable for some notebooks (because the drivers, or the b=
rand)?
> should I format all the HD and install FreeBSD in the hole disk?

you shouldn't have to do this.

> =20
> Thank you and sorry my English, I'm from Mexico

Tu ingles esta muy bien, sergio, no te preocupes ;)

You may want to ask in freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org , which is a list solely =
for laptop  related issues.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Always listen to experts.  They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. =
=20
Then do it."
  Robert A. Heinlein

I speak for myself, not my employer. Contents may be hot. Slippery when wet=
. Reading disclaimers makes you go blind. Writing them is worse. You have b=
een Warned.