Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 02:53:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   aout-elf-build error: ld-elf.so.1 not found

	I tried make aout-to-elf-build with sources supped
11/13 in the afternoon and got lots of errors that
"/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found."  The build completed,
although I understand from some other message in the morrass
of -current mail that it's a bug for it to have done so.

	It installed all right too, but I had to add all the
library paths with ldconfig -elf -m and ldconfig -aout -m,
even though I updated rc.conf and rc with the new library
information.  I finally got X to run by assuming that the
libraries in /usr/local/lib were aout libraries instead of
elf ones.  However, WordPerfect 7, a linux version, used to
run and now doesn't, and no longer believes that FreeBSD 3.0
is installed.  (I may have "branded" it as elf before.)

	I am not sure whether this build should be considered
damaged (perhaps missing some elf libraries) and redone with
newer sources; some things (ppp and ssh) run as expected.

	Others like ps and top do not, finding some mismatch,
a difficulty that would (I think )require a new kernel.  I did
build a new kernel with some of the new scsi terminology in it
and I created the devices in /dev with the new MAKEDEV file and put
them in /etc/fstab but this didn't work (the kernel couldn't
fsck the files systems) apparently because  I had neglected to
put the CAM lines in the kernel.  So I have been using the old
kernel and old /etc/fstab.

	This was all done on a system that was up to date (as
an aout system) around September 4; it was happily running
softupdates then and still does.  It also still runs the tcl/tk
stuff I've had a chance to try, and it runs ppp and ssh.

	So, does the build error, not finding /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1,
mean that I should resup and redo it, or does it just need some
configuration to get it running right?

	I thought someone might be interested in knowing about
this problem and perhaps might be willing to suggest what I ought
to do next.

	Not a real easy process, is it?

		Annelise