Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FYI: 2.2.5 --> 4.1.1 success!

I had a Pentium-133 running 2.2.5 that I've finally gotten around to
upgrading.  I would have just installed fresh to 4.1.1, but this machine
has no floppy drive and only 8meg RAM, so that would mean I'd have to
upgrade and/or borrow the parts to do a fresh install.

Also, this machine was previously an offsite server that got physically
damaged.  So several successive buildworlds seemed like a good way to
stress-test the machine and make sure everything is still working right.

So, I try the upgrade route.  First, I cvsup 2.2.8-STABLE and buildworld
(note: buildworld took 6 hours, 52 minutes), then installworld.  All goes
well, except that I get bitten by the network card driver changing from
vx0 to xl0.  No biggie, probably covered in the docs, but I didn't read
those... :-)

Next, I cvsup to 3.5-STABLE and go buildworld again.  Part way through
this, it stops with a nasty error, so I hit dejanews and find that I need
to read UPDATING.  Unfortunately, cvsup has given me an empty UPDATING
file.  There isn't anything in it, besides the version banner.  Another
dejanews message points me at:

 http://andrsn.stanford.edu/FreeBSD/transit.html

Which explains that I need to do a 'make aout-to-elf-build' and install,
among other helpful tidbits.  Right, I forgot about the aout-->elf
migration back then.  But it still doesn't work, it dies out at another
place.  Back to Dejanews, and I find that it's suggested to upgrade to
3.2-RELEASE before going to the 3.x-STABLE.

And on another website, it's recommended to do a 'make upgrade' instead of
'make aout-to-elf-build'.  So I do this, and it starts compiling straight
for over 11 hours, then errors out, apparently due to a conflict in my
kernel configuration.  I should have used GENERIC after all...  With the
GENERIC kernel, the buildworld succeeds and I get to 3.2-RELEASE.

After several missteps with the 3.5-STABLE buildworld, mostly due to
trying to run it over a network connection that got interrupted, then
restarting with a 'make -DNOCLEAN buildworld', which left gunk that kept
breaking the build, I finally got a fresh start at the console and
finished it. (Only took 12 hours, 20 minutes for 3.5-S buildworld)

Then I get to 4.1.1, there's an UPDATING, I follow the instructions, and
it all goes nearly perfect.  Yep, my old machine is finally running
4.1.1-STABLE, after being upgraded all the way from 2.2.5 in stages.

My thanks to the FreeBSD team for making this possible! :-)

Ken Bolingbroke