Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:51:12 -0400
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Subject:   PPP, cu and US Robotics 14,400 Sporster FAX Modem

I have spent many hours trying to connect to my ISP without success. I
became
convinced that there must have been a problem with 2.2.2-RELEASE so I
reluctantly upgraded to 2.2.6-RELEASE. The problem is still the same !!

On Brian's advice I stopped trying to make PPP work in order to try
something
simpler ie 'cu'. to see what was happening ...

   cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 38400 (also tried next higher speed up)
   Connected
   atdt(ISP Phone number)

The response is a long line of hieraglyphics with no meaning that I can
deduce
looking at the output in hex.
I get exactly the same with PPP.

I am looking for anyone using a 'US Robotics Sportster 14400 FAX Modem'
to see a) if they can PPP and b) if so do they use any particular Hayes
codes
or c) advise on how to check this out.

All help welcome ...

Malcolm G. Boff