Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:21:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Opinions ...

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> My preference has been, and still is, systems built up from ASUS
> motherboards and things *I* consider to be "tried and true" hardware (ie.
> Adaptec SCSI controllers)..
>
> Anyone have any opinions on Compaq, positive and negative, that they are
> willing to make?  Am I wrong?  Is Compaq *worth* the cost difference?

Understand, my experience with them goes back so far to be less applicable
than it should be, but I still haven't forgiven Compaq for any of the
times I've had to use one.  I have not had one better-than-negative Compaq
experience in 5 years of consulting (I haven't had to deal with any of
them in several years, since now I'm mostly a programmer/administrator).

Part of it was that Compaq used to try *WAY* to hard too lock you into
using their parts only, to the point that you couldn't use a non-Compaq
IDE hard drive in some of their machines.

The other part is that back in the days that DOS was king in the office,
and Windows was just starting to be common, you'd be amazed at the
numerous programs that just weren't happy on Compaq hardware.  Once we had
to put a new video card in a Compaq, because the fax software was
displaying the faxes white-on-white, but only on the Compaq machine.  Of
course, the customer was none too happy about this, because since the
video was integrated on the motherboard, Compaq saw no reason to provide
any slots that weren't ISA, so the video was a little bit slower.

They may have changed as all of this is dated, but in my experience, I
tend not to trust any of the major manufacturers, and prefer ASUS MB with
Adaptec SCSI myself.  Have you ever tried to get HP tech support on a
computer that was either not running Windows or Netware, or had any non-HP
hardware in it?  I was working for an authorized reseller and kept getting
"We don't support that, replace it with HP equipment" answers.