Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:40:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't install XFree86 - LibXau.a Malformed Archive

Jan Lentfer writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I am having big troubles installing XFree86-4.2 from ports.
 > The problem seems to be within XFree86-4-libraries.
 > The "make"/compile process works flawless in XFree86-4-libraries but
 > when I do install I get libXau.a: Malformed archive.
 >
 > Any Suggestions?

Do an 'ar t' on the file to see what its contents are.  You should see
something like this:

ar t /usr/X11R6/lib/libXau.a
AuDispose.o
AuFileName.o
AuGetAddr.o
AuGetBest.o
AuLock.o
AuRead.o
AuUnlock.o
AuWrite.o

Perhaps you ran out of space when building.  The X ports didn't used
to complain of build errors until the install phase (its like they use
make -k internally).

Drew