Date:      Wed, 12 May 2004 15:03:37 -0700
From:      Tom Arnold <xyzzy@sysabend.org>
To:        Sebastien Petit <spetit@selectbourse.com>
Cc:        xyzzy@sysabend.org
Subject:   Re: freevrrp problem

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:30:26PM +0200, Sebastien Petit wrote:
> There is a problem with freevrrpd and em drivers. em driver go down,wait 2
> seconds, and become up again when an SIOCIFLLADDR is used. So a flapping
> problem will appear. The last revision in CVS resolve this problem and a new
> parameter called carrier_timeout (see the man with the new revision) can be
> used to precise the number of seconds for waiting interface to be up.
> New parameters for spanning tree latency and vlan has been added because
> when a switch port will be down and up, the port switch became in learning
> state and a flapping problem will result from that. Try to disable spanning
> tree or set the spanning tree parameter with the duration of the learning
> state.

I grabbed the latest version of CVS yesterday which is how I got it to work
at all.  Spanning tree is not enabled in the switch.

Here's my freevrrpd config from the primary machine.  secondary is the same
but with 200 for priority.

serverid = 1
interface = em0
priority = 255
addr = 192.168.13.209/32
password = dlvip
useVMAC = yes
carriertimeout = 3
spanningtreelatency = 0
sendgratuitousarp = yes
monitoredcircuits = yes
AHencryption = no
#masterscript = "/usr/local/bin/master_script.sh"
#backupscript = "/usr/local/bin/backup_script.sh"

Now I can start freevrrpd and within a few seconds the machine is reachable
again.  if I shut down freevrrpd the machine becomes unreachable for some
period of time greater then my ssh timeout.

If I start up freevrrpd on the secondary server I get :
freevrrpd[64090]: authentification incorrect in a received vrrp packet.  Packet is discarded !

And of course at this stage network to both machines becomes flakey as they
fight over the vip.

Is there a simple patch for .8.7 that makes em0 work?  Unfortunatly I was
expecting this to be as plug and play as it is on fxp cards, so I'm short on
time before my decision point of wasting a few hours on a colo trip to swap
the cards out.

Thanks!

 - Tom Arnold -       When I was small, I was in love,                  -
 - Sysabend   -       In love with everything.                          -
 - CareTaker  -       And now there's only you...                       -
 --------------         -- Thomas Dolby, "Cloudburst At Shingle Street" -